3M is rightly known the world over as one of the most innovative corporations with a spend of over 6.5% on R&D to sales annually…..
But WHY does 3M have that focus on innovation ……and what part does Preston Technical play in the supply chain to help them achieve their fantastic global presence?
The 3M Company CEO during their foundational years – William McKnight – implanted the WHY for 3M. His guiding principles and inner belief created one of the most innovative companies today. His principles were:
- “Hire good people and leave them alone”.
- “Delegate responsibility and encourage men and women to exercise their initiative. Management that is destructively critical when mistakes are made kills initiative. And it’s essential that we have many people with initiative if we are to continue to grow.”
- “As our business grows, it becomes increasingly necessary to delegate responsibility and to encourage men and women to exercise their initiative. This requires considerable tolerance. Those men and women, to whom we delegate authority and responsibility, if they are good people, are going to want to do their jobs in their own way”.
- “Mistakes will be made. But if a person is essentially right, the mistakes he or she makes are not as serious in the long run as the mistakes management will make if it undertakes to tell those in authority exactly how they must do their jobs. Management that is destructively critical when mistakes are made kills initiative”.
- “If you put fences around people, you get sheep. Give the people the room they need.”
Preston Technical started it’s proud association with 3M over 30 years ago. We are now one of the foremost converters of 3M products into forms that make products more usable and help make our customers achieve a competitive edge.
But underpinning that is the WHY!
The many William McKnight principles helped form the WHY in Preston Technical since we started business over 30 years ago. 3M is built on solving customer problems. Our WHY is to help achieve that objective by making 3M products more usable, more productive, and more cost effective for the customer.
Everything we do at Preston Technical is wrapped around the 3M WHY…. and our WHY!
Who would have thought that William McKnight’s principles formed in 1948 hold as true in todays business world as they did then!
Find out more about the Preston Technical WHY at prestontechnical.co.uk!!!
Derek Prince Operations Director
Preston Technical Ltd